Does the IRS Contact you By Phone?

I received two phone messages (on the same day) from an "unknown number" somewhere in California (area code) on my phone from the "IRS", or at least that is who they said they were. Following are the messages with the phone numbers:

1:03 p.m. CST: "... Johnson from the Internal Revenue Service. (End?) The hotline to my division is 424-260-8844. I repeat, it's 424-260-8844. Don't disregard this message and do return the call before we take any action against you. Goodbye and take care."

2:31 p.m. CST: "... (word cut off; sounded like "eet") Johnson from the Internal Revenue Service. (End?) The hotline to my division is 424-250-2511. I repeat, it's 424-250-2511. Don't disregard this message and do return the call before we take any action against you. Goodbye and take care."

I will save my comments about these two messages because I don't want to help these scammers to "improve" their methods. I will however share my actions.

I DID NOT return the call.
I reported the event to the FTC. (If you have a similar experience, you can report it here).
I also reported the event to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. (You may want to do the same; report it here).

The IRS will not contact you first via phone; you will receive a letter:



Here's a quick view chart with action points CLICK HERE.
Read an interesting IRS Impostor article on FTC website CLICK HERE.
Report to the FTC Government Impostors, phone scams and related CLICK HERE.
Contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration CLICK HERE.









No comments:

Post a Comment